Arnold Spry stands proudly beside the ‘state of the art’ projection equipment on Opening Night (28 July 1955) of the ‘Avalon Cinema’. The projectors were imported from England and supplied by Gaumont-Kalee and labelled ‘the[…]
Pearl of Pittwater Estate for private sale by Arthur Rickard.
The first headmaster of Avalon Public School, Les McGuire, stands rather disconcertedly amongst the debris that would become the first playground and assembly area. The building was a ‘demountable’ and lay in parts in mud[…]
This photo shows pupils marching south along Old Barrenjoey Road through the shopping centre to the school on official opening day 26 May 1951. Woolworths now occupy the site of the Avalon Milk Bar and[…]
This remarkable photograph shows the view west along what would have been called Clareville Road. The name Avalon Parade first appeared on AJSmall’s ‘Palmgrove Estate’ subdivision on Boxing Day 1921. AJSmall had envisaged it as[…]
This rather dramatic photo shows what remained after the ‘Hole in the Wall’ (St Michael’s Arch) collapsed in 1867.The structure stood on the North Avalon rockshelf and was given a variety of names by the[…]
This photo is a part of a much longer panorama taken by E.B. Studios around 1925. The special camera was mounted on the high ground above the path (to the right) which led down to[…]
Hi, we’re back!