General Store

The first general store was built by AJSmall in 1922. The view which this photo shows is north/east across the intersection of Avalon Parade and (Old) Barrenjoey Road. The store was eventually demolished to make way for the ‘Barefoot Boulevarde’ in 1965.
Stan Wickham was the most notable and popular tenant from 1924 until he built his own store on the diagonally opposite corner in 1934. Stan captained the Wallabies against the All Blacks in 1903 and 1905 and Great Britain in 1904.

Leave a Reply